English (United Kingdom)

Komunikacja autobusowa



Darmowy Program PIT dostarcza
Instytut Wsparcia Organizacji Pozarządowych
w ramach projektu
dla OPP





°F | °C
invalid location provided

Name Day

Today :
Olgi Kaliny
Tomorrow :
Jana Brunona
History PDF Print E-mail
Written by Administrator   
Sunday, 01 February 2009 12:21

The name Borów originates from the settlement location - the cleared forest. In the historical sources it functioned as Borioy, Boraw, Borou (1202 - 1294) and also Markt Bohrau. The last name was used till 1945 - the oldest residents still remember it. The first written sources come from 1200, when Borów was mentioned in the bishop of Wrocław dominions registry. The first owner of the settlement was the deacon's Bartłomiej of Borów son - Bogdanus de Boroy.
In the 9th century Borów was the castle playing a major role in the defensive system of Silesia. In 1292 Borów received town charter. At the same time a big profitable watermill was built. In the first half of 15th century gothic church was built. It was rebuilt in the 16th century in the Renaissance style. Today it is a 3rd category monument. During the Hussite wars (15th c.) Borów was seriously destroyed. At the time the castle was devastated. After the rebuilding, the town was destroyed another time during the thirty-year war. In 1535 Borów converted to Lutheranism and in the second half of the 17th century the sermons were said in German and Polish. At the turn of the 15th and 16th centuries Borów was the property of Czetritz family, and since 1779 it belonged to Sandretzky family who resided in Mańczyce palace. The most famous representatives of the family were: the count Johan Kari who apart from Borów possessed 24 villages and 25 manor farms which together made the area of 13 thousand hectares and the count Friedrich Wilhelm - the lord in Bielawa whose lands amounted to over l0 thousand hectares.
In the half of the 18th century after the Prussian seizure of Silesia, Borów became a market town. It was the smallest town in Lower Silesia then. The historical sources claim there were 338 inhabitants in 1795, 469 in 1825, 487 in 1905 and 905 in 1939.

At the end of the 19th century (1886) Borów was kept by Seidlitz family. At that time it was unimportant and it lost the town charter.
Particularly important is the fact that up to now there exists Borów municipal seal dated 1664. The seal was found by a school pupil Tomasz Ratuszny a couple of years ago. After thorough expertise carried by National Archive in Wrocław it turned out it is so far unknown seal of Borów.
Historical sources state that primary Borów emblem was charged with a hand motive symbolizing God’s right hand ( acc. Otton Hupp). The recently discovered seal showed the face of Madonna in the crown, with waist-long hair and dressed in a long dress. It is a very valuable discovery. No one knows what other mysteries are hidden in the Borów land. Nowadays the seal's motive has been used in Borów commune emblem.
Military actions caused extensive damages. Many buildings were completely destroyed. There were heaps of rubble all around. There was lack of cattle and agricultural equipment. However it did not put the brave repatriates off. They came back to their ancestors’ land after years.
Priest Mieczysław Krzemiński, the first priest of Roman Catholic parish said about his work:
"As a first priest for Polish people I started my work on the 16th of December 1945 with the mission to organize the parish. There was a German priest in Borów. After terrible experiences in the East - Wołyń, Galicja, after manslaughter on Polish people and burning villages, Poles found peace in Borów. They missed the spiritual goods. They wanted to have God among them.(...)" Repatriates started to settle down in Borów area in July 1945. Simultaneously Germans were leaving the area. Till December 1945 in Borów area few families mainly from Korościatyn (Buczacz, Tarnopol) settled down. Mass influx of settlers took place in 1946. They were people from the Eastern borderlines (foe example. Kowalówki - Buczacz, Loszniowa, Plebanówki, Trembolowa, Korościatyna, Chłopy, Rudki, Sądowa Wisznia, Mościska). In the years 1947 and 1948 inhabitants of central Poland and French settlers came to Borów.


Commune's Mayor


sieci wodociągowej lub kanalizacyjnej zgłaszamy pod numery:

Kierownik GZGK
w Borowie

697 916 426
Oczyszczalnia scieków
w Borku Strzelińskim
601 835 865

Program wymiany pieców 2020 - 2021

Plan Gospodarki Niskoemisyjnej

Samorządowy Informator SMS
Zarejestruj się,
aby być powiadamianym
o zdarzeniach na terenie
Gminy Borów
( awarie wodociągowe, ostrzeżenia pogodowe, zagrożenia itp. )
wyślij SMS o treści
na numer
661 000 112

European Funds


Świadczenie Wychowawcze

Commune Map





Gminy partnerskie